UK Registered Charity Number: 1154107

Conservation by Re-use

Helping churches acquire surplus and/or redundant bells to be hung for

English-style full-circle bell-ringing.



Hosted on a Memset server
Index Youtube video of bells ringing

Stoke-on-Trent, Longton,

St James

The new frame was installed, the bells completely refurbished and re-hung in the new frame and the ring of three were rededicated on 7th November 1993.


The opportunity to augment the minor ring of three arose in 1996 when the Millennium Commission granted £3m for the upgrading and improvement of church bells to celebrate the millennium. The new treble bell was donated by Christ Church, Doncaster and the new tenor bell (ex-St James, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent) by the Keltek Trust. The ring of five bells was dedicated on 16th July 2000.



Details of the bells:

Treble: T. Mears of London. FECIT 1829 (redundant bell, ex-Christ Church, Doncaster)

Second: Cast at Nottingham in 1490

Third: Cast at York in 1662 by James Smith

Fourth: Cast at Doncaster in 1628 by William Oldfield

Tenor: C & G Mears founders London 1853 (redundant bell, ex-Longton, Staffordshire)


Details taken from the Service of Dedication booklet.


Link for more information about Barnburgh church.

Barnburgh, Yorkshire, St Peter


In the early 1990’s it became apparent that if some urgent action were not taken St. Peter’s bells would soon become unringable. The old oak frame was frail and unstable and the fixtures and fittings were fast wearing out, making ringing difficult and dangerous. The investment to put things right was enormous.


With funds raised by St Peter’s bell ringers, generous donations from many sources and with the invaluable help of British Coal, the restoration of the bells began in  April 1993. A new steel frame to accommodate five bells was manufactured at the Mine Service Centre at Shafton near Barnsley. Workmen from Shafton dismantled and removed the three bells from the tower together with the old frame and all other materials including the belfry floor.