UK Registered Charity Number: 1154107

Conservation by Re-use

Helping churches acquire surplus and/or redundant bells to be hung for

English-style full-circle bell-ringing.



Hosted on a Memset server
Index Listen to the bells

Farleigh Hungerford, St Leonard

The pre-restoration ring of four bells at Farleigh Hungerford were only rung a few times over the previous 25 years. They were patched-up at least twice by ringers from the Bath & Frome areas to allow them to be rung for special occasions. They fell silent again in 1995 when it was realised professional work would be required before they could ring again. Details of the bells are as follows:


Treble   PHIL PALMAR WARDEN 1681 L C

Hungerford arms on the waist

Second IN TERRA PAX   ANNA HOULTON DEDIT

LLEWELLINS & JAMES

BRISTOL

1885

Hungerford arms

Third    JAMES WELLS ALDBOURN WILTS

FECIT 1810

Tenor   GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO 1613

Weight 4-3-3, Note C – 28 cents


The oldest bell, the tenor was cast by Roger Purdue of Bristol. The treble of the four is believed to have been cast by Lewis Cockey of Frome and is thought to be the earliest known bell by this founder. The second bell is a 19th Century recast of a 1681 bell. Although a very small village, it was important in ancient times; the nearby castle was the seat of the Hungerford family whose arms appear on the two trebles. The village was an important cloth manufacturing centre and remains of the industry can be found below the castle walls by the River Frome.


The restoration of the ring has been completed. The Frome Branch of the Bath & Wells Diocesan Association of Change Ringers donated a surplus bell to augment the ring to five. The Keltek Trust financially assisted the Frome Branch in this worthwhile project. 2008 and is once again assisting the project by donating a bell to augment the ring to six.


Details of the bells taken from: The Bells of the Frome Deanery by George Massey.