UK Registered Charity Number: 1154107
Conservation by Re-use
Helping churches acquire surplus and/or redundant bells to be hung for
English-style full-circle bell-ringing.
The church dates from the 14th century when the parish was formed from lands belonging to St Albans Abbey.
Prior to 1998 the tower contained a ring of three bells. A tablet in the nave records a ‘Compleat Peal of 120 changes’ rung in 1777, a feat repeated for the Queen’s jubilee year in 1977.
The tenor bell dates from 1613 and was cast at the Whitechapel bell foundry by William Carter. The connection with the bell foundry was renewed 385 years later when two bells were cast and a redundant bell located by the Keltek Trust was tuned to augment the bells to a ring of six. The tenor bell has been left un-tuned so as not to change its tonal characteristics and its weight is just over 11cwt.
|Trust donations - Church gallery|
|Rings of bells|
|Bell-frames & fittings|
|UK - Redundant church gallery|
|UK - Bells for chiming|
|Overseas - Bells for Chiming|
|John Taylor Bellfoundry Museum|
|The Sound of Bells|
|ex-Trinity House buoy bells|
|Relocating Redundant Church Bells|
|UK Bell-founders & hangers|
|Our Internet Service Provider|