UK Registered Charity Number: 1154107
Conservation by Re-use
Helping churches acquire surplus and/or redundant bells to be hung for
English-style full-circle bell-ringing.
South Petherton, Somerset,
St Peter & St Paul
The Ringing in the Millennium project to replace the poor-sounding ring of eight bells with a newly-cast ring of twelve bells involved the disposal of seven of the existing bells. The former third bell, cast by Robert Wiseman in 1641 to be retained in the tower because of its historic interest.
The Trust was contacted to help find new homes for as many bells as possible within the tight schedule of work. The old treble is now the treble of the ring of four bells at Horton-in-Ribblesdale, Yorkshire.
The old South Petherton second has replaced the broken 4th bell at Horfield allowing ringing to resume once again.
The fourth bell was found to be cracked and is currently being used to help develop clapper indentation weld-repair techniques.
The old sixth bell is now hung for chiming at St Mary of Furness, Barrow-in-Furness and the old tenor bell has been hung for chiming at St Charles of Borromeo, Detroit, USA.
The seventh bell, cast by W. Jefferies of Bristol was broken-up because of its poor sound.
Sadly the Llewellyn & James fifth bell was also broken-up even though it could have been re-tuned to be a reasonable sounding bell.
|Trust donations - Church gallery|
|Rings of bells|
|Bell-frames & fittings|
|UK - Redundant church gallery|
|UK - Bells for chiming|
|Overseas - Bells for Chiming|
|John Taylor Bellfoundry Museum|
|The Sound of Bells|
|ex-Trinity House buoy bells|
|Relocating Redundant Church Bells|
|UK Bell-founders & hangers|
|Our Internet Service Provider|