UK Registered Charity Number: 1154107
Conservation by Re-use
Helping churches acquire surplus and/or redundant bells to be hung for
English-style full-circle bell-ringing.
The photograph to the left shows the Gillett & Johnston bell at the base of the tower while awaiting sufficient funds for its hanging. Prior to the Trust acquiring the bell, it was upturned and used as a flower-pot in a Sussex garden for some decades!
The Trust located another bell to complete the ring of six. The surplus bell came from the church of St Andrew, Plymouth and has been tuned to become the second of the ring of six at Tealby. The augmented ring was re-dedicated on November 17th 2001.
The current ring of four bells date from the early fifthteenth century (treble) to 1704 for the W. Noone tenor bell. The bells were re-hung in a modern six-bell frame some years ago and the project is to add two bells to complete the ring. The initial enquiry made to the Trust resulted in a choice of bells for the treble of six. We were aware of the immediate availability of a bell by Newcombe dated 1614 and of a modern Gillett & Johnston bell, the latter owned by the Trust. The parish decided to acquire the modern bell and have obtained a suitable second-hand headstock and wheel to fit.
|Trust donations - Church gallery|
|Rings of bells|
|Bell-frames & fittings|
|UK - Redundant church gallery|
|UK - Bells for chiming|
|Overseas - Bells for Chiming|
|John Taylor Bellfoundry Museum|
|The Sound of Bells|
|ex-Trinity House buoy bells|
|Relocating Redundant Church Bells|
|UK Bell-founders & hangers|
|Our Internet Service Provider|